Arthritis commonly occurs when the cartilage – the slick, cushioning surface on the ends of bones – wears away, bone rubs against bone, causing pain, swelling and stiffness. Over time, joints can lose strength and pain may become chronic.
You can't always prevent Arthritis, there are many risk factors associated with it like increasing age, family history, and gender; Women are more prone to Arthritis than men.
You may be wondering Why Women are more prone to Arthritis, the some factors leads to this are - Women is having less knee cartilage than men, Due to hormonal difference women are also at greater risk for the autoimmune condition called Rheumatoid Arthritis, Emotional problems, lack of exercise etc.
So now what, even though we can't prevent the occurrence of Arthritis in most cases, we can give can give a try and may it would help you.
Ways to prevent Arthritis -
- Maintain a Good Body weight - Excess body weight increases the risk factor for getting Arthritis. More weight means more pressure on joints which means faster joint wear out.
- Eat Fish rich in Omega 3 - Certain fish are rich in omega-3 fatty acids, a healthy polyunsaturated fat. Omega-3s have a number of health benefits—and may reduce inflammation in the body.
- Exercise - Exercise strengthens the muscles around the joints, which protects them from wear and tear. But avoid high impact exercises like long distance running, Soccer etc as these have adverse effects and increases the wearing.
- Try to avoid any Injuries - when you injure your joint—for example, while playing sports or due to an accident—you can damage the cartilage in the knee and cause it to wear out more quickly.
- Take care of Joints - While doing physical actions like Lifting an Object lift with your legs instead of back this will reduce the strain on your joints. Similarly while carrying objects also try to distribute the weight.
- Stay away from High heels - Human foot is designed in such a way that it is distributing weight equally on entire feet. If you wear a high heels whole body weight is balanced by toes which in turn increases stress. So wear high heels only occasionally.
- Check your Vitamin D - Studies shows that Vitamin D deficiency also results in Arthritis so include Vitamin D in your diet.
- Drink water - The cartilage in our joints is made up mostly of water, which is what makes it such a great cushion for the joints. When we’re dehydrated, water gets sucked out of the cartilage and it’s more easily damaged by wear and tear. So drink water.
- Consult your doctor - If your feel that you are having Arthritis, Consult your doctor and take immediate steps to slow down the wear and tear on your joints.
Article Prepared by Hindusthan Ayurvedic Health Care, Ayurveda treatment centre in trivandrum. Hospital specialise in treatment for Slip disc. Psoriasis, Arthritis, Low back pain, Post pregnancy care etc. For Arthritis ayurvedic treatment in Trivandrum you can consult with the chief Ayurveda Doctor, who is an efficient Ayurveda Doctor who has cured many patients and had helped many.